Cape Breton Highlands National Park is known for its spectacular highlands and ocean scenery. The Cape Breton Highlands are the most striking feature of northern Cape Breton. Steep cliffs and deep river canyons carve into a forested plateau bordering the Atlantic Ocean. One third of the Cabot trail, a world-famous scenic highway, runs through the national park along the coasts and over the highlands.
Things to do in the Highlands
- Bring your hiking shoes and explore the park’s 26 scenic trails, from easy forested walks to sloping coastal hikes
- Picnic in quaint coves
- Experience the friendly local culture in the fishing villages that dot the park’s edges
- Sandy beaches and plenty of ocean and freshwater swimming
- Enjoy cycling, ocean kayaking in sheltered bays, camping, golfing, and fishing
- You might even catch sight of minke and humpback whales breaching off shore.